Practical Billionairess

How to outfit yourself as a Billionairess for Billionaires for Bush actions!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Biarritz

Billionaires for Bush is a satirical, do-it-yourself campaign using humor, media and street theater to expose politicians who support the corporate elite at the expense of everyday Americans. "Billionaires For WealthCare" is its most recent manifestation, darlings. The Boston Chapter is currently in resurrection mode.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Shoes! The Jewels! The Gloves!

Now, simply *everybody* knows that accessories are how we billionairesses show our wealth. Diamonds! Pearls! Tiaras! Fancy Hats (when tiaras are not available)! Handbags! Shoes! Even Martini Glasses! Don't fret over your cash flow, darling, these luxe accessories are available everywhere for reasonable cost. For example, while I was at the thrift emporium, I had noticed the racks and racks of shoes on display and thought, “do I dare?” Then I noticed a lovely pair of pointy-toed pumps in beautiful condition, right under the sign which read, “All Shoes $4.50/pair”. I tried them on and they fit perfectly! They are black suede so will go with everything and they have low heels, so I can comfortably stand in support of our dear President for hours and hours!

As for jewels, I already had jewelry, so I opened the safe deposit box and jewelry vault to take a look. I had a string of pearls from my sorority days and a precious diamond necklace which Daddy had given me for my Sweet Sixteen. I had also found a pearl necklace for 50 cents at the thrift store when I was buying my gowns and shoes. Still, Margaret Dumont was known for wearing long strings of pearls and Alexis Carrigan was known for the huge honking gemstones she wore. I wanted both.

So, I checked out my local party supply shop. Long strings of pearls are worn in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and, even New England party stores stock them. They also stock sparkly bracelets for $2.99 and tiaras (I found one which read "Princess" in the most glittery glitter for a mere $7.99! It wouldn't have suited Margaret nor Alexis, so I declined to purchase it.) Also, Craft stores stock long strands of pearls which can be made into necklaces by gluing the ends together with “Goop” glue. And don’t forget ebay! That is where I ultimately found my huge gemstone rings and earrings, along with a diamond dollar sign pendant, dollar sign earrings and a lot of 4 pearl necklaces for a mere $25.00! Just so you know, it is a much better value to look for jewelry lots on ebay - more jewels for less cash!

Finally, I found gloves, handbag and a tiara, the remaining portion of my outfit, on trusty ebay. I found a lovely pair of white opera-length gloves for $5.00, including shipping and an even lovelier beaded handbag for a mere $ 6.00. Then I found my tiara for a mere $11.95 with shipping! My billionairess outfit was now complete! The entire process had taken one week of exhausting work and a $120.00 (but keep in mind that I bought three gowns, two fur coats, a fine pair of shoes and scads of jewels with that small amount of cash! A Billionairess with more restraint could do it all for under $50.00!).